Dear Kobe



Dear Kobe Bryant,

When I was in elementary school, my father introduced me to the NBA. We watched Lakers games together and my earliest memory was watching you and Shaq play alongside each other while being coached by Phil Jackson. With those 2, you got 3 rings. But during that span, you had your first black spots in your career. From feuds with Shaq to the rape case, you had to overcome them to be better in the sport you love. After you lost to Detroit in 2004, my focus shifted to my studies in High School but I kept tabs on you and the Lakers until I was able to watch again. By that time, I was 2 years away from graduating High School, Phil Jackson came back to coach the Lakers and you found new teammates, but importantly, you stayed a Laker. I remembered watching you lose again in the NBA Finals in 2008 to the rival Celtics. On hand, I was mad. Mad that the rival in the East blew you out. But on the other, I was optimistic that it would be motivation for you to win another ring and you did. And by the time you were celebrating your 4th championship at Disneyland, I was getting ready to graduate from High School. I bought your jersey which I would pass on to my cousin, I was even inspired to take some basketball classes in college because of you.

In my first year in El Camino, I would pattern my plays after you and Derek Fisher. And by the time I was finished with my first year in college, you beat the Celtics at home. And a few days later, I saw you in Disneyland celebrating. Even after Jackson left and players were coming in and out of the team, I kept watching for you because I knew you were near the end. When you announced your retirement last year, I knew a part of my sports life was over. You leave the sport you love on your own terms. Never again we will hear the calls of your game winners and whenever you have the ball. Never again we will see that familiar 24 on the floor. But in my heart, I will forever bleed the purple and gold. Because of you, I'm a Lakers Fan forever.

Thank you Kobe

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New School, Same City

Random act of Kindness

Frozen-Live at the Hyperion: From concept to opening and personal thoughts