2010-2015: A Carousel of Color



It seems like yesterday that I saw World of Color for the very first time. When I first saw the show, it wasn't even open to the public yet. It was a Cast Member preview that my sister took me to. Ever since I saw the show for the very first time, it became my favorite nighttime spectacular in the resort. So you can say I'm an "Original" fan of the show. For the first 5 years, i've seen the show ever changing and people leaving happy that they saw this amazing show over the years. I never thought I would be obsessed with a show until this show opened. It changed the way I play at the Resort whenever I'm there for a full day. It made me love Disney even more!



You might be wondering why this post is some sort of a reflection post. Well, its because it pretty much is. When the Diamond Celebration at the Disneyland Resort begins, a new World of Color show will debut which will be as spectacular as the "Classic" World of Color has been for the past 5 years. And you may be wondering if I told this story of how I became a fan of World of Color before. Chances are you're right. Its a story I like to tell over and over again because usually when I tell people how I became a big fan for the show, they usually want to know how I got into it. Plus the creation of the show is a fun story in itself.

How long was I waiting for World of Color before it opened? Lets say 3 years. Yep, thats back in 2007 when they announced that California Adventure was going to undergo a 5 year expansion and renovation project. World of Color was one of the major highlights of the project along with Cars Land, Buena Vista Street and Toy Story Midway Mania. In those 3 years waiting, I was tempted to get information about it whenever it became public. Then when the platform was built, water filled back in, it was a matter of time. I also went to the first public performance on June 11th, 2010 and when the roars of the audience happened after the show, I knew Disney had something special. Back in 2010, there was no "Holiday" version of the show. But it didn't stop Disney from making a New Years Eve Spectacle out of the show in its first ever NYE night that year. I recorded the first WoC Countdown which you can see below:




Suffice to say, World of Color is now where I have been for the countdown for the past 5 years. 

Then 3 years after it debuted, a Holiday version debuted called "World of Color Winter Dreams". While many people would point to other ways they were hooked on the movie "Frozen" I'm one of those rare people that can say they got hyped into Frozen by watching a theme park show thanks to Winter Dreams. 

So why do I keep coming back to see World of Color? Well, its not just because its ever changing. Its because the show made me appreciate Disney for what they're good at: Telling stories in whole new ways. From exploring "A Whole New World" to surviving the Stampede from the Lion King, its a show that leaves me happy every time the show ends. And always shows that in every era of Disney animation, Walt Disney is always there in spirit.

So whats in store for the "Classic" World of Color after its final performance on May 21st? Will it be gone for good? Most likely not. Will it return updated? Most definitely if World of Color Celebrate is just around for the 60th Anniversary Celebrations (whenever it ends).




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frozen-Live at the Hyperion: From concept to opening and personal thoughts

Remember Dreams Come True and Disneyland Forever

Disneyland Diamond Celebration: A look back to opening day of the 60th Anniversary