The Summer is a Carousel of Color


It was June 2010, Disneys most anticipated show "World of Color" was set to debut on June 11th. Since it was first announced in 2007, I eagerly awaited 2010 to come! When the show was being programmed, I kept myself updated with the help of my sister who was a CM at DCA at the time. As it got closer and closer to June, I was really getting anxious for the show. After seeing videos of how the show was being put together, I knew it would be one of 3 most anticipated things from the DCA Expansion project.

Numerous rumors surfaced on soft openings for the show which turned out to be all false. Then my sister told me that there would be Cast Member Previews before the radio contest preview and the World Premiere. Of course I said yes! Its not an AP preview, but heck, its better! AP previews that were organized in the past few years didn't provide much chances. Youd have to enter a drawing and hope the picked you to attend. With a CM preview, it was easy to attend one if they allowed a CM that you know (family member or friend) to bring guests.

There were 2 CM preview dates set. One on Sunday June 6th and another on June 7th. Both had 2 showings after park closing and video or photography wasn't permitted. If you were caught recording or taking pictures of the show, you were tossed out (I did see it happen to one person during the preview)

This is a pic of the FP from the preview night:




That was a great night! To be able to see the show before the general public was a great pleasure! I still remember that night. I was speechless. After months of seeing the show on youtube (videos of the show during testing was posted on youtube including a full show-run), it felt like I didn't watch the videos at all!


Then on June 9th, I had to make the decision to go on the shows opening night. I saw the show already and my sister said I wouldn't have to worry about going on opening night. Regardless, I wanted to see how opening night went in person. So I contacted my friend who wasnted to be there on opening nigh as well and we made plans to get to DLR extremely early. By that, I mean camping out as early as 1AM!

We get to the Pumbaa Parking lot (located next to GardenWalk) around 1am and got to the resort transportation plaza to see that a line had formed! We slept for as long as we could (I was able to get at least 2 hours of sleep.) By 6:30, they were ready to open DCAs gates so we could get the Faspasses for the show!

I can say that I haven't forgotten everything that happened that day. From the crazy crowds that nearly overwhelmed the CMs working crowd control for the show, to me thinking I lost my camera. That night showed how the rest of the summer of 2010 would play out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frozen-Live at the Hyperion: From concept to opening and personal thoughts

Remember Dreams Come True and Disneyland Forever

Disneyland Diamond Celebration: A look back to opening day of the 60th Anniversary